3/10/2009

Stranger in a strange land

The day after I arrived in Germany (which is now the day before yesterday) I had my first "foreigner" experience. I was pretty hungry while we were out and about, looking at the local historic buildings. So my aunt gave me 5 euro and sent me off to buy some food for myself. It wasn't a huge deal... she waited right outside the door, and I just had to say something on the menu then point at the other ingredients I wanted added to the pita. But still. I'm pretty sure that's the first time in my life that I had to get what I wanted out of someone who didn't speak my language. I'm sure I was blushing, but I ended up with a taaasty end-product– a donner kebab. So good. And paying wasn't difficult since the total amount owed showed up on a little display screen. I handed the man money, he gave me change, and I was on my way.


Donner Kebab! Soo good!

Well, today I had a bit more complex of an exchange. Yesterday we made an appointment to get my hair cut today. Sooo, 15:40 rolls around and my aunt comes downstairs to inform me that she wouldn't be accompanying me to the salon. Oohhhkay... I can manage...? Just then my little cousin Frankie got home from school (who can actually speak a decent amount of German), and he walked with me over to the salon to help translate what I wanted done to my hair. 

I'm going to preface this with the fact that I really like the way my hair turned out. It's adorable! That being said, during the cutting I could not shake the uneasy feeling I had. I was intensely reminded of being 14, when I got my first short haircut. The past few times I've gone to get my hair cut it's made me feel more like a woman, silly as that may be. Though I'm sure it's hard to feel like much else at the rather-snooty Magnum Opus in the Pearl (which is where I'd been going). Still, I couldn't do anything to shake that adolescent uneasiness while the scissors were dancing across my locks. I felt young as young could be (while still being able to interact with adults, barely). Thanks, language barrier!

Besides that, it was a very enjoyable experience! I'm a sucker for getting pampered. Somewhere between the scalp massaging, the constant touching and the knowledge that you're being beautified, you can't help but find relaxation and peace. Frankie stuck around to help me pay the lady. He helped a lot; I'm not convinced I would have liked my hair as much if he hadn't been there to relay a few key messages.

Shine-on, highlights! And goodbye, split-ends!

However... cute as the cut may be, I kinda think I should stop asking for layers like I always do, and I should start asking for something to make me look sexy. Someday I'll look older... someday...

No comments: