2/19/2006

El Weekend

This has been a great weekend! Let me start at the beginning. Thursday afternoon, Paul got an email from his parents saying they were going to California the next day, and they asked if he wanted to go. I encouraged him to go, since he didn't have much homework, and he hadn't seen his grandma or uncle in a while. So Friday afternoon, Paul left for California.

Friday night, I went to a potluck at David and Athena's house. There were so many people! I brought chili cheese fries, and everyone else brought alcohol. So we all got drunk. I stayed the night at David's house, and then in the morning... we all drove to Madras! David and Athena's hometown. I've never been there before, but let me tell you: it is very, very cold there. Apparently it was 8 degrees fahrenheit there a few days ago. Eight degrees! On the way there, driving through the mountain passes, I saw a few small frozen waterfalls, for the first time in my life. It was neat. I got a few pictures of the drive, but not many.

When we got there we ate lunch at this little Mexican restaurant (I can't remember the name of it), and it was very tasty. I got a chimichanga. Mmmm. Oh, and we had the sweetest waitress ever. She knew David and Athena, 'cause I guess they used to go there all the time. She even remembered what David used to order. After lunch we went to the skate park, but it was too cold for David to even want to skate. We were there, freezing our butts off for almost an hour, then Athena came back with the car (she had dropped us off so she could run home really quick).

So, we went to David's house. El Casa de Santos. His parents were both really nice people, and they made us an excellent dinner of taquitos, with potatoes inside since Tom and Athena are vegetarians. Hah, they thought this was a really weird concept, since they had meat several times every single day. They just couldn't understand why anyone would want to give up eating meat, especially voluntarily. I'm with them. Damned herbivores...

Then we went to a show for about five minutes, to find William (David and Athena's friend and former roommate). Then we went to the hospital so Athena could see her mom (don't worry, she just works there), and then we were headed home again.

I'm so glad I decided to go, I had a really good time! I looooove road trips, actually. They're one of my favorite things, ever. I'm one of those "look out the window for hours at a time just to think about things" kind of people. Not so big on conversation in the car. Of course I don't mind it, especially if they're just short little, driving-in-the-city kinds of trips. But staring out the window and being quiet, that's what I prefer. With music on (but that goes without saying).

Today's a homework day. I don't have much of it this week, which is awesome, but I could stand to concentrate on some bigger projects of classes that aren't due yet.

Oh yeah, Paul comes back on Monday. While I'm at school. But I am enjoying my weekend alone; it's nice.

No comments: