6/06/2006

My voice, the Actress

Sometimes, I end up staring at myself in the mirror, and if I stare for a little while, I don't recognize myself. On some of these days, I'm thinking, "Damn, is that me? I need sleep, or food, or exersice or something, because I seriously look like hell. Wow." And then I have those other days, when I look in the mirror and think "Damn, is that me? I need to be a freaking underwear model or a supermodel or something, because I seriously look damn good. Wow." Today is one of the good days. I'm sure everyone has both days.

This morning was fun. Waking up was really weird, because I would wake up, look at the clock, fall back into a deep sleep, wake up again, and only five minutes would have passed. I had to stay on top of the clock, though, because I had a feeling Paul didn't set the alarm at the time I wanted (and I was right), and he was sleeping on the couch instead of writing his paper. So I was super sleepy (two nights in a row of 6 hours of sleep, when I'm coming down with a cold and I'm stressed) when I got up, but when I looked in the mirror my hair was perfect, so I didn't bother with a shower. I just shaved my legs, did my makeup, and got dressed. When I got home from work I took an hour-long nap, and when I woke up I knew the meaning of beauty-sleep; I felt like I was looking even better than I did that morning.

Anyway, the reason this morning was fun, was because I got to do some job-shadowing, and some voice-acting. I got to work at 9 am, like I was supposed to, but ended up having to wait for the other voice actor for about 50 minutes. Anyway, we recorded our commercial one voice at a time. It was weird, because I was reacting to a voice or a person that I wasn't actually hearing. It was really fun, though. Then Doug showed us where all the sound effects come from. There's this huge book, about as big as a phone book, filled with the names of almost every sound you could imagine. So we picked up some Office Ambience, a Corrola motor sound, and some other things we needed. Then Doug showed us how to edit sound. He likened it to video editing, but that didn't help since I've never done/seen video editing. I have, however, seen sound editing before. It was still neat, though.

Anyway, Nick (another one of the interns, and one of my voice-acting partners) had to leave at 11, so he took off. I, however, stayed and watched Doug at work. In the time I was there, he edited and sent a radio commercial, wrote a couple other commercials, had several meetings with people including meeting with a part-time worker/giving him going-away gifts (there were about seven or eight people crammed into Doug's tiny, tiny office for this), and had a creative brainstorming session with a few people (while informing me that I was going to be working on that project very soon). Keith, my other boss, also helped on the voice acting, but he also attended 5 meetings in the three-and-a-half hours I was there, and still had one more later that day. Wow. What a busy, busy place Entercom is. I got to meet a bunch of other people that worked there, though I couldn't tell you anybody's name now. Doug told me it's that busy every single day. Oh yeah, he also is flying to New Jersey (?) tomorrow because he's a finalist in an annual competition for one of the radio commercials he's written.

Oh, one more thing he told me: he's met both Busta Rhymes and Snoop Dog. He said they're both cool, and Snoop is a pretty funny guy. Oh yeah, and he has a friend who is a creative director at Weiden + Kennedy. I am amazed at this guy's life.

Now I have a long list of stuff to do, which can be found under question 13 on my myspace blog "I'm powing through these things..."

No comments: